Monday, January 23, 2012

Countdown

The countdown has begun. In 57 hours I will be taking off on the greatest adventure of my life thus far! I'll be traveling with my cousin for a 3 month long trip to Southeast Asia. I'll be going to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam & possibly China as well. I thought I'd start off the blog by noting 10 things I'm excited for on this trip & the things I'll miss while I'm away.

Looking forward to....
1. The simple life. No cell phone, no heels, no curling iron. It will be nice to get away from it all.
2. The beaches. I'm so excited to see the beautiful islands of Thailand. I'll be visiting Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, Phuket, Phi Phi Le, and more!
3. The food. I can't wait to try all the different cuisines. I've heard so many great things about the food over there. From the $5 fresh lobsters to the unique street food, I will be in foodie heaven!
4. Volunteering. I'm especially excited to work with an orphanage in Cambodia. I'm so blessed to be able to go on this trip and I know how important it is to give back. It will not only be rewarding for the children I'll be around, but even more so for me.
5. The festivals. From the crazy full moon party in Koh Phangan to the Lantern festival in Hoi An, there will be lots to see and experience.
6. Nature. I love being outdoors and I'm looking forward to hiking, elephant rides & waterfalls.
7. The trains. I love getting to travel by train, especially in other countries. It's such a great way to see the countryside & how the locals live. Overnight trains are awesome because they save a hotel cost for the night & you get to do most of the traveling while asleep!
8. The people. The best way to get to know a country is to get to know the locals. It's also great to meet other travelers along the way.
9. The sights. Everything from Angkor Wat in Cambodia to the glittering skyline of Bangkok will be amazing.
10. No agenda. What I'm most excited about is getting to embrace my free spirit. No work or schedule to keep to. I'm going wherever the wind takes me and I can't wait to find out where that will be!

I'll miss....
1. The love of my life! It will be hard to be away from him for so long but we will keep in touch via FaceTime. We have been going 5 years strong and I know how sweet it will be when I get to see his face again.
2. My family! It will be hard not to see my parents for so long and I'll also miss my sister, especially since she's pregnant for the first time! We will FaceTime so I can see her growing belly and not long after I get back I'll be an Auntie!
3. The Superbowl. I'm bummed to be missing out on it this year but fortunately I dislike both teams. What I will miss is being able to watch it with my dad.
4. The food. Yes, I mentioned this on both lists. While I'm looking forward to trying new food, I will also miss my mom's amazing home cooking, along with my favorites: salads & Greek food.
5. My bed. I know that's a stupid thing to miss but after sleeping on hostel beds for 3 months I will be happy to get In a comfy bed again!

So I only came up with 5 things I'll miss, but my boyfriend and my family count for much more! I'm so excited for this trip and I know all those things will be waiting for me when I return. This will be a life changing experience and something I've always wanted to do. Next time you hear from me I'll be on the other side of the world!

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for you! You are going to have so much fun :) Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete